euphoria Consulting (euphcon) is a Dubai based strategic consulting firm specializing in organizational transformation and executive coaching.
We asked the CEO and Organizational Change and Development Consultant Ashish Patel to discuss an Organisational Development Consultant Partnership which he implemented for Business Transformation in a company facing a crisis.
Ashish Patel: As an Organizational Change and Development Consultant, while defining the scope of OD (Organizational Development) interventions, I have always felt that OD needs to play much bigger role beyond Learning and Development focus initiatives.
A renowned business group had undergone a major business crisis since one of their largest customers turned into their competition. The situation had worsened since the departed customer had taken away the majority of their team members across all levels. The renowned business group (our client organization) is known to believe in retaining internal resources and encouraging employment opportunities in generations.
The client had to choose between:
- On boarding the new talent immediately and spending energy on customer retention.
- Designing a comprehensive business transformation program to mitigate the business risk with an inclusive approach by involving key stake holders.
As the client is known to choose more sustainable management practices rather than adopting the quick fix approach, they chose to work on the latter option…
I designed the change program framework by building the following themes;
Sustaining the present product line
Building and establishing additional product offerings
Reducing the back to market time
Building the change team
Creating a strategic cell as a guiding board
Retaining the existing customers
Building a new revenue model
Re-building the positivity within the organization
Mapping existing skill sets
On-boarding the critical mass
This framework got implemented within an 18-20 months time frame. Along with my role as an external consultant, we had to build internal change team from various functional groups and the task force was led by one of the board members from the client organization.
The results of this massive project are as follows:
- The organization started using almost 85% of their capacity and their revenue grew by 12%.
- The organization built an equal proportion of home grown and fresh talent.
- The new, well articulated competency framework has allowed 2 level back ups for each critical position to be created.
- Inclusiveness built major trust and camaraderie across the level.
- Resilience has been ingrained as part of the DNA of their organizational culture.